Valiant Brawlers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Valiant Brawlers

Elite Warriors of Super Smash Brothers Brawl

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Who thinks the stats are pointless?

Go down 
5 posters

Keep the stats?
Yes, they keep things under control
Who thinks the stats are pointless? Vote_lcap45%Who thinks the stats are pointless? Vote_rcap
 45% [ 5 ]
No, there's really no point at all to them
Who thinks the stats are pointless? Vote_lcap55%Who thinks the stats are pointless? Vote_rcap
 55% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
Shiranui117
Valiant Mascot
Valiant Mascot
Shiranui117

Who thinks the stats are pointless? Empty
PostSubject: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:36 pm

Honestly, why cap our characters to a mere 24-stat limit, waiting for supposed "upgrades" that never come? Are we seriously expected to measure the potential of our characters, having to pick and choose which specific area gets how much focus, and leave each essentially fight predetermined based on a few numbers? That's just assanine, and I know about half the people here agree with me: You can't measure an individual's fighting style and give it a grade, with nothing to compare it to except saying, "Uhhh, I'm going to say his attack power is this..." Really, it makes no sense at all.

Yeah, yeah, I know, this is just to limit God powers... But seriously, there are better ways to do it. Just delete their post, or if they don't stop, block them from posting in the IAS period. You don't have to make people give their characters numbers to keep them from using God powers. Hell, they sure didn't stop Arcade, now, did they?
Back to top Go down
Minby_Aran
Admin
Minby_Aran

Character sheet
Test field: 1

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 7:29 am

The point is, they're only a general guideline. They are not law. You can still kill people with higher defence than your attack if you need to. Just if you have one attack you can't kill someone with 20 defence.
Back to top Go down
https://valiant-brawlers.forumotion.net
LucaTheLucario
brawler
LucaTheLucario

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Luca has joined the pointless group!
Back to top Go down
Minby_Aran
Admin
Minby_Aran

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 12:40 pm

They're pointless to you because YOU NEVER FIGHT.
Back to top Go down
LucaTheLucario
brawler
LucaTheLucario

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 12:42 pm

I don't see the point, even if I did fight. Why stats? Why can't we just do it the old fashioned way? Fight to the death with what you've got, but no god powers.
Back to top Go down
Shiranui117
Valiant Mascot
Valiant Mascot
Shiranui117

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Minby_Aran wrote:
The point is, they're only a general guideline. They are not law. You can still kill people with higher defence than your attack if you need to. Just if you have one attack you can't kill someone with 20 defence.
Okay, sure. But why tack on a bunch of numbers? It'd be even easier to say, "Uh, yeah, my character has ridiculously strong attacks, and his armor gives him a great defense, but he's also kinda slow and not really talented with magic."

Now, onto another thing that annoys me possibly more than the initial stats, having to pick and choose how to spend THREE POINTS in each area, regardless of how much equipment we have. YES, I remember Mewt's little... Misunderstanding. But seriously, ONLY 3 points? What if I have a spear, a shield, running shoes, a spellbook, a dagger in my boot and a flak jacket? Yeah, I still have only 3 points to spend. I should be able to add, like, 2 in attack, 3 in defense, 1 in speed and 1 in magic. But instead, I'm probably gonna have to add 1 in attack, 1 in defense and 1 in magic, deciding that the running shoes weren't as significant as the others. It still sacrifices ingenuity and true calculation of stats.

And don't even get me started on the false promise of stat gains...
Back to top Go down
Minby_Aran
Admin
Minby_Aran

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 1:01 pm

Shiranui117 wrote:
Minby_Aran wrote:
Okay, sure. But why tack on a bunch of numbers? It'd be even easier to say, "Uh, yeah, my character has ridiculously strong attacks, and his armor gives him a great defense, but he's also kinda slow and not really talented with magic."

Now, onto another thing that annoys me possibly more than the initial stats, having to pick and choose how to spend THREE POINTS in each area, regardless of how much equipment we have. YES, I remember Mewt's little... Misunderstanding. But seriously, ONLY 3 points? What if I have a spear, a shield, running shoes, a spellbook, a dagger in my boot and a flak jacket? Yeah, I still have only 3 points to spend. I should be able to add, like, 2 in attack, 3 in defense, 1 in speed and 1 in magic. But instead, I'm probably gonna have to add 1 in attack, 1 in defense and 1 in magic, deciding that the running shoes weren't as significant as the others. It still sacrifices ingenuity and true calculation of stats.

And don't even get me started on the false promise of stat gains...
Because of all the people using vague descriptions to make themselves discretely more powerful than everyone else without anyone even realizing it.
But if I did that, Then all the people with a lot of items get insane stat boosts, but then the people who only have a sword and a shield are at a HUGE disadvantage.
And no one has done anything yet to NEED a stat boost, so be patient, will you.
Back to top Go down
Csquared08
Mega Super Brawler
Csquared08

Character sheet
Test field: 10

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 1:21 pm

if necessary, I could suggest a compromise. but, I'll hold off on that until people make a decision >_>
Back to top Go down
Csquared08
Mega Super Brawler
Csquared08

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 2:20 pm

apparently the majority has gone to pointless, sooo...

Compromise:
The number system is replaced with a range of relatively vague notations giving very general guidelines as to a character's power.

For example, a character with these stats that looked like Column 1 with the number system become Column 2 under the compromise:

Attack - 15 --> Attack - above average
Defense - 19 --> Defense - high
Speed - 10 --> Speed - average
Magic - 3 --> Magic - very low

better? worse? necessary?
you decide.
Back to top Go down
Minby_Aran
Admin
Minby_Aran

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 2:46 pm

We already established numerical values for every stat, so making them more vauge is a step back.
Back to top Go down
Csquared08
Mega Super Brawler
Csquared08

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 2:49 pm

Minby_Aran wrote:
We already established numerical values for every stat, so making them more vauge is a step back.
and people want those established numerical values gone, hence the "taking a step back" to something more vague, but it still has the same idea of establishing some sort of a limit.
Back to top Go down
Shiranui117
Valiant Mascot
Valiant Mascot
Shiranui117

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 7:11 pm

Csquared08 wrote:

Compromise:
The number system is replaced with a range of relatively vague notations giving very general guidelines as to a character's power.

For example, a character with these stats that looked like Column 1 with the number system become Column 2 under the compromise:

you decide.
Better, and I'd gladly go for it.
Back to top Go down
Csquared08
Mega Super Brawler
Csquared08

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 7:24 pm

Shiranui117 wrote:
Csquared08 wrote:

Compromise:

you decide.
Better, and I'd gladly go for it.
thanks Smile

the order would probably be:

none
incompetent
very low
low
average
above average
high
skilled
very high
adept
mastered
H4X!
broken
Back to top Go down
PeppyWil
SHU people
PeppyWil

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 12:30 pm

Once again, like so many times in the past, we see idiots who think this is a democracy.

Even if it was a democracy, a change like this would require a 2/3 vote for it. As it stands, you only have 1/2 of the votes. Not even a majority.

And that's if it IS a democracy, which it isn't. Minby calls the shots, what he says goes, etc.

So take your little petition elsewhere so that I can laugh behind your back and not to your face. Wouldn't do to hurt any feelings, hm? WAHAHA!

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Csquared08
Mega Super Brawler
Csquared08

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 12:32 pm

PeppyWil wrote:
Once again, like so many times in the past, we see idiots who think this is a democracy.

Even if it was a democracy, a change like this would require a 2/3 vote for it. As it stands, you only have 1/2 of the votes. Not even a majority.

And that's if it IS a democracy, which it isn't. Minby calls the shots, what he says goes, etc.

So take your little petition elsewhere so that I can laugh behind your back and not to your face. Wouldn't do to hurt any feelings, hm? WAHAHA!

jocolor
xDDDDDD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who thinks the stats are pointless?   Who thinks the stats are pointless? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who thinks the stats are pointless?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Valiant Brawlers :: Valiant Fanfic :: The final stand-
Jump to: